Home » Other » General » Oracle/SQL + website
Oracle/SQL + website [message #483162] Thu, 18 November 2010 18:59 Go to next message
Paya
Hi all,

I was wondering what is best to choose for my last years project. I'm going to try and make a database and a website that should get linked up together. My question is; should I use Oracle or MySQL to make the database? What is easier to link them both up? I know I will need php for this as well btw.

On the website I will have the option for users to register themselves and to book appointments through a calender or something similar and this should get saved on the database and also retrieve data from it. Again, is Oracle or MySQL easier to do this with?

I have only used Oracle to make a database in and im not THAT technical..if that can help you guys make me decide?

Thank you!
Re: Oracle/SQL + website [message #483165 is a reply to message #483162] Thu, 18 November 2010 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>What is easier to link them both up? I know I will need php for this as well btw.
Linux, Apache, MYSQL, PHP (LAMP) are an effective combination.
For your purposes, Oracle is much too complex & more user hostile than MYSQL.
Re: Oracle/SQL + website [message #483166 is a reply to message #483165] Thu, 18 November 2010 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paya
BlackSwan wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 19:08
>What is easier to link them both up? I know I will need php for this as well btw.
Linux, Apache, MYSQL, PHP (LAMP) are an effective combination.
For your purposes, Oracle is much too complex & more user hostile than MYSQL.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to get familiar with MySQL and PHP then Smile
Re: Oracle/SQL + website [message #483188 is a reply to message #483166] Fri, 19 November 2010 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps you could consider using Oracle 10g Express Edition (as a database) and Application Express (as a tool).Oracle

Oracle Application Express (Oracle APEX) is a rapid web application development tool for the Oracle database. Using only a web browser and limited programming experience, you can develop and deploy professional applications that are both fast and secure. Oracle APEX is a fully supported, no cost option of the Oracle database.

When you install the database, it already contains Apex (version 3.2, if I'm not wrong). You might upgrade to the latest version (which is 4.0, at the moment). Both the database and Apex are installed in a matter of a few mouse clicks and are ready to go (more or less; you should still follow the installation guidelines).

From my point of view, that combination might be a good choice for you, as a student.
Re: Oracle/SQL + website [message #483225 is a reply to message #483188] Fri, 19 November 2010 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paya
will it be able to allow me to put my created website in HTML/css into the Oracle Application Express? Or do I have to make my website within that program?
Re: Oracle/SQL + website [message #483227 is a reply to message #483225] Fri, 19 November 2010 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I wouldn't know, sorry.
Re: Oracle/SQL + website [message #483228 is a reply to message #483227] Fri, 19 November 2010 05:47 Go to previous message
Paya
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 19 November 2010 05:38
I wouldn't know, sorry.

Ok not a problem. I'll try to find out myself. Thanks for the information tho!
Previous Topic: Tool for executing oracle scripts
Next Topic: ROLE OF CORE DBA IN APPLICATION UPGRADATION
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:41:23 CDT 2024