Home » Server Options » Streams & AQ » Tools for creating an ODS
Tools for creating an ODS [message #553468] Fri, 04 May 2012 16:03 Go to next message
jfbaro
Hi,

We are looking for tools to help us replicating data from several Oracle Databases (10g and 11g) to a (new) ODS DB (Oracle 11g, probably) which we are going to have. The replication will be one way, from the source DBs to the ODS.

We have been looking into SharePlex (quite powerful and expensive), Oracle GoldenGate (Super expensive) and Oracle Streams (it comes with Oracle EE, so it's almost free for us).

The top features we need from that tool are:

1) Low overhead on the source database;
2) If the replication tool crashes, the source DBs shouldn't be affected;
3) Work with different version of Oracle DB. We have 10g or higher;
4) Able to have some rules to replicate different "pieces" of the database, for example, just some tables or even some columns from specific tables;
5) Near real time replication;

The cost of both SharePlex and Oracle GoldenGate is really out of reach for that project (as we have hundreds of Oracle CPUs) so we are considering Streams as the only REAL option for us.

I am not a DB expert, and have never worked with replication tools. I have read (although really quickly) a few documents on the web, and now I think Oracle Streams can be enough for what we need.

Regarding our scenario, do you guys think Oracle Streams is a viable option?

Cheers! Smile
Re: Tools for creating an ODS [message #553481 is a reply to message #553468] Sat, 05 May 2012 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
5) Near real time replication;

Forget Streams unless you never execute bulk update/insert/delete. Read the previous topic in the same forum: "streams efficiency - question".
Investigate logical standby.

Regards
Michel
Re: Tools for creating an ODS [message #553489 is a reply to message #553481] Sat, 05 May 2012 03:53 Go to previous message
John Watson
If you have several source databases to one destination, I would try Streams, perhaps with downstream capture. Or of course Advanced Replication. Though as Michel says, there may be problems with large DMLs (it has never been a problem for me).
Previous Topic: streams efficiency - question
Next Topic: how to troubleshoot streams
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:16:40 CDT 2024