Home » Other » General » Usage Limitation of oracle free version.
Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613175] Wed, 30 April 2014 10:40 Go to next message
neetesh87
hello all,
greetings.

i have a concern related to oracle 11gR2 enterprise Edition free version.

we run a small home based software organization and do the small level development using oracle database,we are using free version of oracle 11gR2 enterprise Edition,

so is it possible to be charged by oracle in free version(due to exceed the limitation of features provided by the free version)?
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613179 is a reply to message #613175] Wed, 30 April 2014 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
There is no free Enterprise Edition. You must spend US$47.5k per CPU for every machine on which you have installed it.

The only excdeption is for an installation on your own machine, accessed only by you, and that is legal only until you send the application to a customer.
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613184 is a reply to message #613175] Wed, 30 April 2014 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You have eXpress Edition (XE) which is free.
Click on "OTN License Agreement for Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2" to know what are the restrictions.

Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613189 is a reply to message #613184] Wed, 30 April 2014 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neetesh87
thanks to both of you sir,
i want to confirm one thing only that in free version we can be charged?(if it is not being used at production environment).

thanks for your kind response....
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613194 is a reply to message #613189] Wed, 30 April 2014 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Neetesh, it is pretty obvious that you are operating illegally. You must buy licences if you are using Enterprise Edition. If you do not wish to do this, you must remove all installations that are accessible to more than one person, and install XE instead.

If you really need to develop on Enterprise Editon, you should investigate joining the Oracle partner program. The fees are not very high, and give you many benefits.

Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613200 is a reply to message #613194] Wed, 30 April 2014 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neetesh87
Thanks for the valuable guidance,

Quote:

You must buy licenses if you are using Enterprise Edition

actually i don't have information related to the license so

is it possible that we can use Enterprise Edition without having the license?

thanks for your response........
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613201 is a reply to message #613200] Wed, 30 April 2014 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>is it possible that we can use Enterprise Edition without having the license?

possible & can are not necessarily the same as legal & ethical
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613202 is a reply to message #613201] Wed, 30 April 2014 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neetesh87
thanks sir,
i know that it is neither legal nor ethical.

but if we use it on single machine(for test only) and we use its all provided functionality(in free version) like: ASM,Resource manager etc. then

there is any certain limit of usage of its functionality( free version for test only)
after which can cause us to be charged by oracle?

Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613203 is a reply to message #613202] Wed, 30 April 2014 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
neetesh87 wrote on Wed, 30 April 2014 19:15
thanks sir,
i know that it is neither legal nor ethical.
Correct. You are a criminal.

Quote:
but if we use it on single machine(for test only) and we use its all provided functionality(in free version) like: ASM,Resource manager etc. then
there is any certain limit of usage of its functionality( free version for test only)
There is no free version.
Quote:
after which can cause us to be charged by oracle?
Of course you will be charged. You can go to prison too.

Quote:

What is your problem with joining the partner program? Or using XE? Apart from anything else, your clients will not want to jeopardize their relationship with Oracle by dealing with criminals. Or are they operating illegally too?
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613205 is a reply to message #613200] Wed, 30 April 2014 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
neetesh87 wrote on Wed, 30 April 2014 23:15

actually i don't have information related to the license so

is it possible that we can use Enterprise Edition without having the license?

Why don't you take out sometime to go through Oracle® Database Licensing Information
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613220 is a reply to message #613205] Thu, 01 May 2014 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neetesh87
thanks guys for your response.

Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613222 is a reply to message #613220] Thu, 01 May 2014 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've just had a look (for other reasons) at the OTN Developer Licence and the Oracle Partner Network. Two key phrases in the licence are "The programs may be installed on one computer only, and used by one person" and "You may not ... continue to develop your application after you have used it for any ... commercial or production purpose". The first means that you cannot install on a system and have several developers use it, the second means that the moment you deliver the app to a client, your development must cease (except, of course, on the client's properly licensed system).
If you want to develop something without buying licences, become an Oracle Partner. Gold level membership costs less then USD3000, and (among many other benifits) gives you proper development licences. I have worked for partners for years, I cannot see how we could have developed or researched anything without the OPN membership.
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613224 is a reply to message #613222] Thu, 01 May 2014 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Neetesh, what exactly do you call "free" here? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that you are somewhat confused by the fact that Oracle allows you to download numerous products from the OTN Downloads for free.

However, before you can start downloading, you must accept License Agreement. Did you read it? Of course not, it takes time to read that document and you are in a hurry. Well, you should have read it. You still can; I believe you'll then understand what is allowed and what is not.
Re: Usage Limitation of oracle free version. [message #613232 is a reply to message #613224] Thu, 01 May 2014 06:47 Go to previous message
neetesh87
thanks for your support to all of you guys.

now i am much more clear after reading the license agreement.

thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge to me.....
Previous Topic: DB architecture for sites geographically distributed
Next Topic: New York OUG, 3 June
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:42:43 CDT 2024