Home » Other » General » odbc and dsn
odbc and dsn [message #102237] Tue, 02 April 2002 20:35 Go to next message
Radhika
Hi all

I would like to know the difference between the user dsn and system dsn. For a www application which is needed.

Please let me know the detailed difference between them.

Also, the technical difference between the oracle odbc and microsoft odbc for oracle dsn apart from the make/propreitaryship difference.

Thanks in advance..

I appreciate
Re: odbc and dsn [message #102245 is a reply to message #102237] Wed, 03 April 2002 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
A user DSN is seen only by the user who created it. A system DSN will/can be used by all users who log into that client.

Microsoft Oracle ODBC is installed with Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). It can be used instead of Oracle's client ODBC. Microsoft's ODBC does not support all Oracle data types. When using Oracle's ODBC doing linked tables in Access it will recognize primary keys/indexes and use them. Windows does not. There are more diffs but you get the picture.
Re: odbc and dsn [message #102436 is a reply to message #102237] Tue, 04 June 2002 23:13 Go to previous message
ShankarNarayana
Hi,

There isn't much difference between the User DSN and System DSN. System DSN's and User DSN's differ only in who can access them on the system. For ur application System DSN is required.

Regards
shankar
Previous Topic: Re: Request of any exam questions 8i DBA track
Next Topic: Re: Oracle 9i and PHP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:03:59 CDT 2024