Home » Other » General » Erase a DATAFILE !!
Erase a DATAFILE !! [message #103427] Fri, 19 September 2003 04:35 Go to next message
Upperm
hello all,

I'm an oracle newbie.

I've created a tablespace nammed DATAS for my DataBase nammed VENUS. this tablespace contains 2 DBFs (data base files), respectively nammed "DATAS1.dbf" and "DATAS2.dbf".
I know how to rename these files and I know how to move them to another destination too, but I don't know how to erase them.

My question is : How can I erase "DATAS2.dbf" ?

.. Always with Thanks for any help :).
Re: Erase a DATAFILE !! [message #103430 is a reply to message #103427] Sat, 20 September 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
By erase,do you mean dropping the datafile ?

If so, you cannot ! (ie there is no SQL statement to drop a datafile from the tablespace) . You will have to drop the tablespace and remove the associated datafiles or alternatively you could 'offline drop' the datafiles to make them inaccessible,but thats not a clean approach.

BTW,can I know why do you want to drop a datafile ?

Thiru
Re: Erase a DATAFILE !! [message #103434 is a reply to message #103430] Mon, 22 September 2003 19:18 Go to previous message
Upperm
Thanks a lot Thiru for your help.
By erase a datafile I exactly wanted to say drop a datafile:).
As I am a newbie, and I like ORACLE so, I wanted to practice a lot and exercise myself as good as I can, that's why I wanted to konw how could I drop a datafile :)

thank you again :)
Previous Topic: Performance tuning or Network admin
Next Topic: ???... Oracle Direct Connect ...???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:34:33 CDT 2024